Fear in Writing: What kind of writer are you?

Today in Literary History

Today in Literary History...December 14, 1907: Rudyard Kipling receives the Nobel prize for literature, the first English-language writer to do so.ud

Friday, January 29, 2010

What kind of writer are you?

This has been a week of revelation for me.

One, I am nearly addicted to the Internet.  Blugh.
Two, there is a Tennessee girl blogging in California and she wrote a post that may have changed my life.
Three, that post brought me to the Plot Whisperer, who also may be a contributor to future success.
Four, I am not a 'Dramatic Action' writer.  Whoa.

I say whoa because of the implications.  Are people still reading character-based novels?  Are emotionally driven characters still succeeding in the world of literature?  God, I hope so!

But perhaps I shouldn't say 'whoa,' because it really isn't a surprise.  I can write you ten book intros that will knock you flat.  The emotion and dramatic picture drawn will pull you in and push your forward.  But when it comes to plotting them out and mapping the action, I stop.  I am met with a blaring stop sign that halts me in my tracks.

The Tenneessee Girl blogs at A Squirrel Amongst Lions and the post that may have changed my life (or at least brought a lightbulb moment) can be found here.  It is about plot mapping, something I do so poorly.  I suggest you check out the link and the links embedded in her post.

You can reach the Plot Whisperer through her site, but finding out what kind of writer you are, you can reach here.  I found it very informative and not at all surprising,  I will be interested to know what you think of the link and your answers.

I intended this to be a much more profound wrap-up to my week away from blogging, but I am exhausted and at the end of a three-day migraine, so I leave you with this:
JD Salinger
1919-2010
Oh, that we could all write just one book, and it be that book.  Enjoy the peace for which you have always longed, Mr. Salinger.

Bookmark and Share

20 comments:

  1. Wow, her storyboard is pretty cool! Thanks for the links, Michele.

    Aren't we all addicted to the internet? :)

    I hear Salinger has a closet full of manuscripts (heard this on the PBS Newshour.) Apparently he liked WRITING...not publishing. Isn't that interesting?

    Elizabeth Mystery Writing is Murder
    Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

    Al
    Publish or Perish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I took the test and filled out everything with ease - but I don't think action is my strong suit at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've found a couple of great links!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth- I heard that as well. At least he knew what he liked! And he sure did it well.

    Al- You're welcome.

    Diane- Big surprise you do it all well!

    Jemi- No problem. Click away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her posts!!! You are right she is fantastic... As are you of course!

    ReplyDelete
  7. None of the test questions caused me to stumble either...

    Oh, and I do have a rough draft of a piece on why dci-fi writing is no different from any other fiction - could have it to you by Monday evening if you're still interested.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the links! They are fantastic! Salinger and Robert Parker all in one week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm heading over to check out the links! I like what plotting does for my brain while writing, I feel like I'm going somewhere. I'm not the best at organizing my thoughts in the first place so I welcome the structure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read and enjoyed that post, too. Thanks for sharing its benefits. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheers to Salinger and yes, Girl With One Eye's blog is great. Although I think today's post of mine may have disillusioned her, for which she may stop stopping by lol.(not really, at least I hope not) Read her comment to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry to hear about your migraines- I hope next week is better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been following The Plot Whisperer for some time. Brilliant. Helpful. Mind-clearing. She's a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww, Jen! Thanks!

    Alex- I would love to host your sci fi post. I'll swing by your blog later.

    Judy- And Howard Zinn makes three.

    Tamika- I'm realizing structure is key, even though it comes hard to me.

    Shannon- You're welcome. Thank you for stopping by so much this week!

    Voidwalker- So curious now that your blog will be my next stop!

    Stephanie- Today is already better. Thank you, Stephanie.

    Elspeth- I am surprised I just found The Plot Whisperer! I look forward to many mind-clearing posts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. a book without a good plot is like a movie without a good screenplay. You just have to have a smart and witty story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wednesday?
    Damn, my first guest post - hope it doesn't suck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Michele,

    I hope your headache is better. Maybe this will help, I have an award for you over at my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Michele,
    I went to the link...very interesting. I was surprised by the questions I couldn't answer about my mc in my ya WIP. Thanks for sharing.

    I came to visit you through DL's blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Alex- You're on for Wed.! You will rock it!

    DL- Thank you, kind sir!

    Sharon- So glad you came and hope you will stop by again. I was surprised as well...but then again not.

    ReplyDelete