Fear in Writing: Sunday Foreign Post Roundup (On Monday)

Today in Literary History

Today in Literary History...December 14, 1907: Rudyard Kipling receives the Nobel prize for literature, the first English-language writer to do so.ud

Monday, January 4, 2010

Sunday Foreign Post Roundup (On Monday)

1. As always, Lee Lofland  uses his experience in the police force for good, the good of writers that is.  His post last week titled 'Sheriff's: Who Needs 'Em? - Writers: Who Has 'Em?' is a great glimpse into the role of sheriffs in law enforcement.  I must say, once again, how invaluable Lofland's book is as a source for detective fiction.  And if any of you are interested, I'm planning to attend the Writer's Police Academy in central NC in September.  It should be a good time - Lee is always entertaining!  Additional plug: Jefferey Deaver is the keynote speaker.

2. She makes my roundup every week, and that's because Cathy at Kittling Books always keeps it interesting! Her literary posts are great, but it's the fun quizzes I am highlighting today. Click here to see how likely it is you have been abducted by aliens, or here to find out what kind of book you are.  My answers:

There's a 20% Chance You've Been Abducted By Aliens

There's virtually no chance you've been abducted by aliens.
But there's always hope for the future

You Are Fantasy / Sci Fi
You have an amazing imagination, and in your mind, all things are possible.
You are open minded, and you find the future exciting. You crave novelty and progress.
Compared to most people, you are quirky and even a bit eccentric. You have some wacky ideas.
And while you may be a bit off the wall, there's no denying how insightful and creative you are.

3. I am a member of Sisters In Crime, but I only recently discovered we have a blog.  I'm not even sure if it's how much a part of the group it is - meaning how many of the "sisters" participate.  It also doesn't seem to be very well moderated, though it is updated fairly often.  However, this week's entry was quite interesting.  The topic if women writers and their acknowledgement in the writing community.  But it is a well-written article I highly recommend.  You can also read my response to it in the comment section

4.  The last of my roundup posts is a bit of a deviance from the norm.  This week I clicked link after link in search of who-knows-what, and ended up creating two thousand social networking pages for myself.  That may be a bit of an exaggeration.  But here they are if you want to check me out around the blogobe/Interworld.  (I might copyright those terms.)
Michele on Writer's Digest
Michele's Photobucket
Michele's Flickr
Michele on Digg
Michele on PYZAM (great blogger templates, found through A.J. Frey)
Michele's Shelfari
My Library Thing
Michele on GetGlue (this is a fun one, courtesy Cathy at Kittling books, again!)
Michele On BookBlogs

Ok.  So I didn't do all that this week.  But if you are on any of those sites, friend me.  I don't know what good it will do, but I think it has something to do with the 'wave of the future.'


  1. Sound like me - more social sites than I can keep up with!

    Bummer I don't write mysteries. Writer's Police Academy sounds interesting. I wonder if my friend Trish (p.m.terrell in Lumberton) is going...

  2. You could come anyway. It would be fun to learn all that crazy stuff!

  3. Oh, excellent links. So nice to see you have only a 20% chance of being abducted.I'll pin my hopes on the 80% for you ;)

  4. I don't think I've been abducted by aliens yet. Good thing. It's hard enough to figure out earthlings.

    Morgan Mandel

  5. I’m on more social sites than I can keep up with but I haven’t even heard of some of these. I need to get busy and become more social in this new year so I plan to check them out. But, before I go to all that trouble, I’m going to check on my odds of being abducted by an alien!

  6. Thanks for the links!

    I've just gotten my renewal notice for the Sisters in Crime. I do like their newsletter...haven't gone to the blog yet.

    Mystery Writing is Murder

  7. As always, great links to check out. I love the one about aliens, I'll have to try that.

    Looking forward to you guest posting at Thoughts in Progress. I have Feb. 18 through 28 open. If any of those dates work for you, just let me know. Thanks again.

  8. Carol- Thanks for holding out hope for me! Someone should write a book about a person who becomes obsessed with these quizzes - someone who thinks there's a conspiracy behind them. Hint, hint Writers!

    Morgan- Welcome and touche.

    Jane- I know what you mean. They were new to me and I don't know if I can keep up with them. But I must say, when I entered my email address, ELIZABEHT SPANN CRAIG popped up immediately on most of them! Is there a place that woman hasn't been before all of us? :P

    Speak of the...Elizabeth- I got mine, too. I'm not much of a newsletter person, but I like to be in groups. What does that say about me?


  9. How fascinating to attend a writing class with the Police Academy! If I wrote mystery this would seem an invaluable tool.

    Let us know what you learn!

  10. The Police Academy sounds like such an experience! make sure to share with us!

  11. I have no idea what half of those things are. Shall have to check them out if I get a chance!

  12. Tamika - At least click the link and see what kinds of stuff we'll do. It's police academy for writers - not writing at police academy. I'll have to have Lee guest blog on her some time...Hmmm...
    Victoria- I will!
    Kristen- When I find out I'll let you know! But now that I signed up, I see them everywhere! SOCIAL MEDIA ARE TAKING OVER!

  13. Joining Sisters in Crime is on my to-do list. I shall take the test to see if I've been abducted by aliens and then have several sleepless nights as a result. Why sleepless? Either I'll be wondering what happened when I was up there or I'll be wondering what's wrong with me that I haven't been chosen.

    Thanks for all the social links. I'll check them out and certainly join a few!


  14. You were indeed busy! I clicked over to the PYZAM link. Is there a link there to the great blogger templates you mentioned? I couldn't find it.

    Straight From Hel

  15. Elspeth- Too funny Elspeth. I am content that I have remained among humans for most of my life, and am happy not to be chosen. But we all have our goals!

    Helen- Click on the Pyzam logo in the top left of the screen, or here is the link: http://www.pyzam.com/ I tend toward the dark and mysterious ones, but there are others as well.