Fear in Writing: Mysterious Steampunk

Today in Literary History

Today in Literary History...December 14, 1907: Rudyard Kipling receives the Nobel prize for literature, the first English-language writer to do so.ud

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mysterious Steampunk

Jemi Fraser of Just Jemi joins Southern City Mysteries today for a look at the genre of Steampunk.  Mystery and fantasy lovers--this is a special treat!  Add in YA and there is no audience to which Jemi doesn't appeal.  Jemi is a teacher and believes, I quote, "Variety is THE spice."  Read and click.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks, Michele for the opportunity to post on your awesome blog!

I’m currently in the midst of writing a Steampunk YA mystery novel. A friend – Calista Taylor over at A Steampunk Reverie – introduced me to the genre about a year ago. She’s written a great romantic mystery set in Steampunk England.

Steampunk is not a new genre, but it is new to many people. Basically, Steampunk is set in Victorian times, often in London. The industrial revolution is still taking place, but with a twist. Steam becomes a power source for many more devices than engines. Inventions – or tinkerings – develop rapidly. The devices are a lot of fun. One of my main characters creates, among other items, a tracking device and a mechanism to help him blend into the night.

Steampunk England is a great setting for mysteries and murders. There are multiple dead bodies in my story! It’s a dangerous and difficult time for those without resources. My characters aren`t wealthy, so their lives are never easy. They know the alleys and the shadows. Several of the action scenes take place in outdoor settings. Great places for chases, surprise attacks and body dumps. I’ve met an awesome character who lives in the depths of these alleys. As for the coppers? They don’t have the time, energy or manpower to investigate the deaths of people with no importance (wealth). Not sure how perfectly true that is, but it makes for a good story line, so don’t disillusion me please!

The class system, including the development of a middle class, and the industrial revolution both give lots of opportunities for writers to weave plots. So much anger, creativity, hardship and indulgence existed at the time. Add a twist with a Steampunk machine or two and you’re off! You can get as edgy as you like. Steampunkers aren’t constricted by too many boundaries. They’re wonderfully open to new ideas, new possibilities.

Hopefully this gives you a better understanding of Steampunk. If you’re looking for a fun genre to try, it’s well worth a visit!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thank you, Jemi, for guest blogging on Southern City Mysteries.  Visit her blog, Just Jemi, for more from this pre-pub writer.
Bookmark and Share

41 comments:

  1. Good post. I've only recently heard about Steampunk and it does seem pretty cool. Good look with the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul. It is very cool & there's a lot of diversity within the genre.

    Thanks again, Michele for letting me drop by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steampunk has had a big underground following for a very long time now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right Diane - Jules Verne & HG Wells are a couple of classic steampunk authors. The genre is enjoying a bit of attention right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jemi, for helping me learn more about steampunk! I love the idea of setting a mystery during that period. It looks like the parameters are pretty open for the genre, which makes the writing fun!

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder
    Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quick swing by--Thanks, again, Jemi, for blogging today! This is such an interesting genre. People don't realize Wells and Verne are a part of it.

    Might I also suggest looking at some of the Steampunk art out there? It really captures the feeling I am sure we will find in Jemi's MS, and most of it is very compelling and romantic with an industrial edge. Here are a few sites:
    Steampunk England
    Steampunk pictures gallery
    List of Steampunk sites

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth - It is a fun genre. And you're right - the parameters are very wide - just about anything goes!

    Michele - Those are great sites - there are so many fun ones to check out. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's quite awesome to see how Steampunk has blended in genres. Especially when you compare it's use in Anime with it's Victorian novelizations. Dreadfully similar, yet beautifully different.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alex - yes it is!!

    Univarn - you're right! Steampunk is sneaking in to all kinds of genres. I haven't seen the new Sherlock Holmes movie yet, but apparently it's very Steampunky :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent post Jemi! You are a natural, I learned a lot. Steampunk sounds like a wealth of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steampunk is cool. I've just finished reading two steampunk novels, Soulless and Leviathan. It seems like an up-and-coming genre. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Tamika - you're a sweetie! And yes, there are sooooo many options in Steampunk - I think it could attract writers and readers of a wide variety of genres :)

    Natalie - I agree!Leviathan is on my TBR list - it has such great reviews & the kids seem to love it. I haven't read Soulless yet, but I'm adding it to my list now :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I know what Steampunk is, I kept hearing about it but didn't have a clue what it meant. Not would I would have thought at all. Thanks Jemi, for filling me in. And thanks Michele for inviting her on over to guest post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never knew what steampunk was before and felt a little out of the loop. Thanks for clearing up the mystery. Great post, Jemi! Thanks, Michele, for hosting her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think steampunk is a great niche genre. I tried writing one once...was very hard. But I enjoy reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never really heard of Steampunk until last year but it's such an intriguing genre. It sounds challenging and fast-paced and a great palate for some wonderful creativity. Thanks for sharing your view on Steampunk with us, Jemi!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Steampunk sounds too mechanical for me to pull off, but it sounds so fascinating to read. The genre is new to me, but I would LOVE a list of authors and book recommendations.

    Also, this guest blogging thing is great because I get to find new blogs to stalk! Yea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for this insight Jemi! I never even knew such a genre existed but it sounds intriguing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Victorian London and steampunk is awesome! I don't think I've heard of any other steampunk mysteries- I'm totally intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for explaining a little about steampunk. It's fascinating. I know quite a bit about Victorian England, but this twist on it allows 'great scope for imagination'! (to quote Anne Shirley)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Calista got me interested in steampunk too, so yay her! It's always fun to explore new and fascinating genres. Plus, how cool are tiny, steam-driven machines? Very, that's how. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Elizabeth B - thanks for stopping by! Glad I could help you understand Steampunk a little more - it is a fun genre :)

    Shannon - Steampunk has definitely become more popular in the last few years!

    Elana - it's definitely a fun genre to play around with. I've learned a LOT by writing in it!

    Cindy - you're welcome! Fast-paced is a great desription for the genre :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nisa - stalking blogs is always fun :) It is a very mechanical genre, but there are always levels of technical expertise. I like making up techno-babble!

    Kristi - You're welcome! It's becoming more popular, but you're certainly not alone in not having heard of it yet!

    Stephanie - Thanks! It is such an fascinating time period to begin with. Adding in the steampunk devices is like adding a little extra chocolate - an extra treat :)

    Elspeth - LOVE Anne Shirley - and she probably would have loved the genre too :) It really is so wide-ranging.

    Simon - yay Calista indeed! I love the cool gadgets - they're fun to invent and "use".

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think the fashion is retro-modern-sexy. There are some great photos of the fashion at this site: http://stuipdthing.xanga.com/714055600/what-fashion-stereotype-do-you-want-to-submit-yourself-too/

    Jemi, are there any Steampunk novels you recommend? Maybe a YA and non-YA choice for our different readers...

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  25. Michele - Leviathan by Scott Westerfield is THE hot YA steampunk novel right now.

    Here's a link with some good recommendations too:

    http://www.faqs.org/shareranks/2814,Best-Steampunk-Novels

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great post, Jemi. Very informative. The Victorian period was so significant economically, socially and culturally, to use it as a backdrop for a great story, how could you lose? I have Leviathan on my reading list for February.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jemi, thanks for the explanation. It sounds like an interesting era and backdrop for intriguing characters. I'd love to know more about your character that blends into the night. So neat.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks VR! You're so right about the Victorian era - so full of possibilities!

    Mason - You're so welcome! I'm hoping others will be intrigued as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Jemi for sharing this about Steampunk. It is sometimes hard to know how different people view different genres.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good stuff, Jemi. You are right, there are lots of opportunities to use the genre and setting for all sorts of things! The possibilities are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm new to this genre but I love what I've seen so far.
    Thank you both for sharing this with me.
    Warmest regards,
    Simone

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cassandra Jade - You're so welcome :) It is difficult & I think Steampunk has more variety than many!

    Jean - I think so too! It's such a fun time frame to play with!

    Simone - You're welcome! I hope you enjoy learning more!

    Thanks again Michele for the opportunity to post here. I really enjoyed visiting with you and your followers!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great post by, Jemi Fraser!

    Makes me want to write Steampunk...

    Love the ideas and the story line :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks, Wendy!! Maybe we can all write some steampunk & really get the trend moving :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a great description of steampunk--very accessible. And so great to learn more about what you're working on, Jemi!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks Carol - I'm glad I was able to help you learn a little bit more about this fun genre :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for the enlightening interview!

    ReplyDelete
  38. You're welcome Bethany - so glad you popped by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh yes, this is great info! Thanks to you I now know what steampunk is. I may have read it... is Christopher Pullman's Sally Lockheart trilogy in this category?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Suzette - Yes Philip Pullman's written some steampunk! I love the Golden Compass - awesome book :)

    ReplyDelete