Fear in Writing: The Room

Today in Literary History

Today in Literary History...December 14, 1907: Rudyard Kipling receives the Nobel prize for literature, the first English-language writer to do so.ud

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Room

I cleared out the dining room yesterday.  I emptied the table of its storage items.  (The room is a magnet for things-to-go-other-places.)  I had every intention of spreading out and attacking my WIP with a vengeance.

It is a warm room in a cold way.  The walls are a soft blue-green.  The furniture is a mish-mash of hand-me-downs from my great-great aunt, who died about the time I married my husband.  The chandelier is a little traditional for my taste, with amber shades and dangling beads, but it'll do for resale.  And the chairs have plump cushions covered in near-mustard velveteen.  An odd room, to be sure.  But warm.

I've added my contemporary touches: straight, no-nonsense curtain rods from West Elm and simple, off-white silk curtain panels.  My wedding pictures are black and white and modern all over.  And the decorative centerpiece bowl is straight out of a Crate&Barrel catalog.

So I thought this would be a perfect spread out and imagine room.  It is large and clean.  It is full of the past, but only the good past.  It is decorated but not distractingly so.  The table is large.  The walls are expansive and blank.

So I cleared the table.  I gathered my materials but I never went in.  Did I run out of time?  Was I distracted by blogging or some other Internet search?  I cannot remember.

But I will enter.

Where do you write?  Do you have the perfect space, or do you grab pieces of time here and there?  I have a notebook and a digital recorder in my purse.  Do you as well?

Bookmark and Share

9 comments:

  1. It's great to have a special place just for writing. A place you go to that is all your own to create in. However, sometimes thoughts come to you in the most unusual places and you have to be ready to capture them. I jotted down notes while stopped at a red light, grabbing a bite of lunch, even waiting for a prescription to be filled. I love you idea of taking a digital recorder with you. That would be an extra bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mason. I think I'll step into that room now and see what happens...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love having my room to write in. It is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the most delightful little office that is far superior to any office I had at any of my previous jobs. A pleasant atmosphere with all the comforts of home, probably because it IS at home! I've created an area that I love to be in and work in.

    Just as they say your bedroom should be calming and a place for sleep, my office is inducive of work and comfort. I just took a glance around - yeah. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still searching for my perfect place. I do most of my writing at my desk, but its located in the living room and there are way too many distractions there. I'd like to turn one of our kids rooms (who have moved onto college) into a writing room, but that won't happen until I get an agent...and my wife cuts the chord.

    It may be awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this story would've been much more amusing if you gave us some pictures of the room itself :))
    I work in my office in my house. The office is very modern, black and white, with blue petroleum details (the cushions on the sofa and armchair, the sumptuous damask drapes ...) and there's a TV, because sometimes while I'm working I like to play some of the music channels in the background ;)

    The most important thing - my working room has to have a looooooooots of natural light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I write on the go a lot. If it's too quiet I can get distracted! I went to the coffee shop for my 2 hours today.

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder
    Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  8. My office is a multi-purpose room. My JTPTB (Job That Pays The Bills) is located there (I tele-commute) as is my personal desktop PC and my crafting studio. After eight hours of customer service emanating from that room, I sometimes find it hard to craft there and it definitely is not condusive to writing.

    So, I am rearranging my dining room. Low bookcases line two walls. My newly acquired vintage typewriter takes pride of place on top of one bookcase. The current round glass table (soon to be replaced with a square wooden one) holds my laptop. I can see the TV if I want to and I don't have to see the same four walls I work in all day long LOL.

    I love hearing how and where other authors ply their craft and really appreciate this post.

    Now, any suggestions on how to budget my time between doing research, reading blogs and actually putting words to paper, let alone finding time for pleasure reading?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually write in my office. Its somewhat more inspirational than the rest of the world and occasionally provides spectacular views. It's also a time that I am pretty much forced to be sitting down with very little else to do.

    ReplyDelete