Fear in Writing: Another Competition Found!

Today in Literary History

Today in Literary History...December 14, 1907: Rudyard Kipling receives the Nobel prize for literature, the first English-language writer to do so.ud

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Another Competition Found!

I listed a novel competition the other day, but here is one for reviewers.  Young reviewers, specifically.  I know many of you take on reviewing books and are very good at it, so I hope you go for it and enter the challenge!  Here are the details and the links:

London Review of Books' Young Reviewers Competition

The London Review of Books, Europe’s bestselling literary magazine, is holding a competition for young reviewers. The prize for the best entry is £1000 and a one-year subscription to the LRB. Prizes may also be awarded for runners-up.
Each entrant should submit one review, praising or unpraising, between 2000 and 2500 words long, of any work of fiction or poetry published after the beginning of 2009. The review must be original, unpublished work (exceptions will be made for student periodicals).
Entrants must be under the age of 26 at the closing date, 16 June 2010. The first LRB young reviewers competition was awarded to Sarah Howe in 2008, for her review of Jorie Graham's Sea Change.


Please send submissions, along with contact details, to competition@lrb.co.uk (as an attachment), or by post to:

The Editors,
London Review of Books
28 Little Russell Street
London WC1A 2HN
UK
**Correction:  Alex Cavanaugh will be guest blogging this Thursday not Wednesday as I originally reported.  The topic is still Science Fiction, so tune in!

Bookmark and Share

10 comments:

  1. Just for young people! Gret idea.
    And you have an award waiting at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad I'm not "young!" :) Sounds like a good competition.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might be something for my students to look into. Thanks for the info, Michele. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even know there were competitions for reviewers :)) What a lovely idea. I've often asked myself who writes reviews in NY TIMES and other respected papers, because sometimes I think that most of those reviews and praises are paid to be written in a flattering way. My house often receives parts of such flattering reviews when we are considering whether we shall buy some tittle or not, and it happened many times that I read a book with stunning reviews and found it to be a terrible trash or a horrible piece of mediocre writing. That's why I've learned not to trust reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Diane! I haven't ventured out to blogs much today, but I'll get over there!

    Elizabeth- I'm not young enough either, or a reviewer! But I was hoping at least one reader would be!

    Shannon- Students! Great idea! I am happy always to help a teacher.

    Dez- I didn't realize they held these competitions either. I am not one for professional reviews, but I do support young talent (or any talent, I suppose) and fellow bloggers. I wish I could read more about your publishing house, but the site is probably not in English, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. you can see my publishing house at wwww.alnari.rs but yes, it's not in English :)

    You can check out the books I did so far at my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7239&id=1054459483
    but it is also in Serbian :)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michele, thanks a lot for pointing this out to me on my blog. It looks very cool and I will definitely be looking into doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like such a cool thing to do. Too bad I'm old! ; (

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dez- Worth checking out anyway! Thanks for the links.

    Steph- Like I said on your blog, I was thinking specifically of you when I posted this competition. All of you--check out Stephanie's reviews. Even if your tastes in literature differ, she is quite a talented reviewer.

    Kimberly- I know, I know!

    Tabitha- Anytime!

    ReplyDelete