Fear in Writing: TravelBlog

Today in Literary History

Today in Literary History...December 14, 1907: Rudyard Kipling receives the Nobel prize for literature, the first English-language writer to do so.ud

Monday, December 21, 2009

TravelBlog

How often do you scroll?
As it is a week of travel for us, I wanted to take you on a tour of my blog while I travel across the Southeast United States.

I am sure you are familiar with the bar to the immediate right. If you'll turn your attention there now, we'll take a quick scroll. SouthernCityMysteries' sidebar holds the usual: brief blogger bio, link to my website, links I adore (both mysterious and non) and the most important part of any blog - the followers. Seriously, what good is an author without readers? A blogger without followers? I appreciate every one of you - admitted followers, one-time commenters or uncommitted lingerers.

But there are some parts that make my blog uniquely mine. And here they are, so you may peruse at your own interested pace and skip that which doesn't strike your fancy. I will skip the self-explanatory ones, like "Quotes that Speak" and blog awards.

1. Today in Literary History. You'll find this just above the latest post, taking prominence beneath the banner. I believe we are formed by those who came before us, be it Edgar Allan Poe, Jane Austen or James Patterson. This connection with history is important, so I strive to etch a bit of the past into your daily blog-hopping.

2. One Click Promotes Literacy. It's really that simple. So why not click every time you come to my site and promote the one thing I know we all believe in: that everyone should have access to stories? This is on the sidebar below blog awards.

3. Worldwide Mystery Lovers. (Just below Literacy button.) A recent addition to my site, thanks to one I saw on Elspeth's It's A Mystery. I love signing on every day to see the map covered in more and more red dots. How amazing that a little thing like writing could bring us all together! It's worth a trip with your mouse to see the different countries represented.

4. Crimespace. A network for mystery writers and mystery lovers. A great place to promote your book or find new ones to read. I am a member, so click the tab to link to the site. If you choose to sign on, make sure to friend me!

5. Paperback Swap. This fantastic book exchange I found through Cathy of Kittling Books. At first I wasn't sure if it was for me. I am a smell-the-glue, new books kind of girl. But once books started hitting my mailbox and people started making requests of my bookshelf, I was addicted! The world is your bookshelf...

6. Favorite Books List. Sounds self-explanatory but I thought I'd say a little more. These aren't just my favorite mysteries or even fiction. These are my favorite books overall - from childhood reads that stuck with me to a nonfiction human rights memoir that still makes my blood boil. As a writer, I feel it is important to have eclectic taste, to pull from different places. As a reader, I am lucky to feel the same way. Maybe I'll post about favorite reads sometime this week...Oh, and there is a second page of favorites if you click 'next.'

7. NC Writers' Network and Sisters in Crime. Keep on scrolling and you might see a part of the site you've never before explored! These two links are groups of which I am a member. The first is exactly what it sounds like, and I am fairly new to it so I can't tell you much more. The second is specifically for mystery/crime writers and is nationwide.
8. Tools for Writers. Every time I find a site I think would be beneficial, I place the link here. I know this is not a much-travelled section of the blog, but it seemed the best place for the list. I hope you will take the time to peruse these links and see if there is something here that can help you. Several I have used myself - SeventhSanctum, Writer's Cafe, Writers' Market. Others I just glanced through briefly and hope to get back to someday.

Whew! It's been a long trip but I hope you learned something! I'm sure my travels have not ended, but I wish you all well and Happy Holidays! Except for Friday, I will be around and blogging all week.

14 comments:

  1. Cool links and they say lots of good things about oyu that you have them on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thanks, Tabitha! Glad to see you here! And you get the one and only comment back from me today! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You've got some great stuff here. Be safe as you travel. I'm out of pocket too, but will check in when I can!

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make a great tour guide! I will check out all of those wonderful resources now that I'm no longer frightened of the sidebar :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right - I rarely scroll to the bottom areas of blogs. I obviously should! Great stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool links! I've scrolled through them before, but it was fun to get your take on each item.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seventh Sanctum's random plot generator is pretty damn funny. Quite worthwhile, though, if you're completely stuck. :)

    Thanks for the tour, good lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scrolling blogs is one of my favorite things to do. I especially enjoy visiting new blogs from a favorite bloggers' blogrolls. So many blogs, so little time....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've clicked for literacy, I'm checking out some of the tools - thanks for that Michele

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dig this a ton. You are one smart cookie lady.
    A lovely day to you my dear. I'll be here a while checking everything out.
    Warm regards,
    Simone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post! Hope you don't mind if I "borrow" your idea.

    Have a Merry Christmas and enjoy your holiday reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for pointing everything out! You're right, I don't always scroll over the sidebar! You've got some great stuff on here! And I take book recommendations very seriously, so loving the fave books!! Will definitely have to take a look at it.

    By the way, left a little something for you on my blog! Check it out! http://carol-in-print.blogspot.com/2009/12/have-blog-will-follow.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, I promise I'll do better with scrolling the sidebars from now on. I notice in your favorite books is Jane Eyre, my all time favorite!
    WIshing you and yours a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for the great response, even if I am only getting back to it two days later! "Borrow" away and enjoy all my favs and more! I know I don't always scroll, so I hope this helps...Thank you, Carol, I'll get right to your blog from here!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete