Fear in Writing: Deeper, Darker Nashville

Today in Literary History

Today in Literary History...December 14, 1907: Rudyard Kipling receives the Nobel prize for literature, the first English-language writer to do so.ud

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Deeper, Darker Nashville

It's the place I played soccer and came home from school every day. It's the place I saw Friday night football lights go out and cried over boys (and girlfriends; honestly, who is more cruel?). It's the place of rolling hills and blooming pear trees, crumbling stone walls and numerous historical markers (one less because of my sister and her Camaro). All of these things I knew.

But as I research Nashville for my series, I learn its deeper, darker sides. And I like them!

Today I discovered a community on the far north side of Nashville, completely new to me, called Paradise Ridge. It traces its roots to the very early years of the state and is the site of multiple crimes and murders. It was established by two brothers from North Carolina, named Paradise. But, to be fair, they weren't the wild ones! That honor falls to the three Bills: Black Bill, Rattlesnake Bill and Gentleman Bill. You really can't make this stuff up.

What actually brought me to this community was a link titled "Ade Family Murder of 1897." What mystery writer could bypass that? I didn't and it proved good reading. Late at night a man spotted the blush of fire half a mile away and ran to the rescue, only to find his neighbors bodies inside the burning buildings. It seems the Ades - two parents, their son and daughter - and a neighbors ten year-old daughter were all murdered before the fire was set. The motive? Jacob Ade stored large amounts of meat, which had been stolen. The murderers did not realize there was $300 sitting in a can right beside them. They were never caught.

This was certainly an unexpected, and most interesting, surprise in my research. Searching also brought me the Mysteries&More bookstore and a mystery fan organization called Mystery Readers International - talk about your PR must-knows!

So this is my bits and pieces of writing/research sharing for today. The kids should be awake soon, but I have enjoyed this peaceful morning. The WIP feels a little further along. (Ok, that's my tough one: further or farther?)

12 comments:

  1. What a surprise to find a story like that hiding in history!

    And...the correct word to use would be further. Farther refers to actual distance, where further is in addition, to a greater extent.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you'd be the one to ask! Thank you! History can be fascinating. I'm headed to your blog right now...Excited it's a Crystal Clear Proofing blogging day!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love finding bits of history like that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lot of Southern Gothic going on in Nashville (which I love!) Congrats on getting some great research in.

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son is acting like a turtle with my side table, my daughter is playing with his retractable sword and running around with my box of paper clips.
    It really is amazing I got ANYTHING done.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, I love discovering dark and dirty secrets about new places. There are usually diamonds in the rough in these kind of places. I have always wanted to visit Nashville, but now you're making me really want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How amazing. Places are like people - you can never guess the whole story behind the facade. What a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Proof that theives were just as dumb back then!
    Interesting tidbit you stumbled upon there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chasing- Isn't it fun to be a writer? And you should definitely make the trip to Nashville.

    Leigh- Congratulations on your success! I've visited your website before.
    People often wonder where we get our ideas, but the world around us is so full of stories!

    Diane- And yet they were never caught...Stumbling is my favorite pasttime!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ten year old neighbor girl bit gave me chills, all sorts of horrible images popping into my head.
    Love hearing about your research though! And the bit with your sister and the camaro made me grin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are many sister-camaro stories out there! And, yes, that is why I mentioned her age. In the article it states she actually got away, was chased down and murdered seperately from the family, then brought back to the burning buildings. You never know what you'll find.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those tidbits of history that bring the timeframe into focus. Research can be so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete