Fear in Writing: Wishful Wednesday: fulfilled, granted, on the way

Today in Literary History

Today in Literary History...December 14, 1907: Rudyard Kipling receives the Nobel prize for literature, the first English-language writer to do so.ud

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Wishful Wednesday: fulfilled, granted, on the way


Brooke of The Bluestocking Guide has taken over Wishful Wednesdays, and here are my picks this week...

I am happy to report that I fulfilled two wishes, one that I've had for a while, one that I had forgotten I had.

The first. I stumbled across the Indie bookstore (Quail Ridge) for which I've been looking in Raleigh on Tuesday. It turns out it is on my route to and from my weekly volunteer event! How fortuitous. Build up my karma, comes right back to me! So I immediately squealed my tires turning into the parking lot and scrambled inside before they closed. I wad disappointed to find they did not carry Elizabeth Spann Craig's Pretty Is As Pretty Does, but they did order it for me! It should be in by Friday (also the first day of a major sale, more karma?).

While they were ordering the book, I browsed. They have beautiful Penguin classics, jacketless hardcovers I was dying to buy. But it was something else that drew out my credit card: Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policemen's Union. I had heard a review of it on NPR a while ago. I can't even remember when it was so long ago! But can you really go wrong with a Pulitzer Prize winner? (My luck was good with Geraldine Brooks.)

So I fulfilled two wishes. And on this Wednesday I sit pretty satisfied.

The other thing I picked up in Quail Ridge is a pamphlet called "ABC Best Books for Children." I am very excited to peruse this and start a wish list for my kids. I don't know who gets more excited when Scholastic forms come home, my son or myself!

So I wish for peace this Wednesday. Peace to read my finds, time to get back to Quail Ridge, and guidance in leading my children down the path of the book-lover.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Michele. I've never heard if these. Thanks for participating. I've been having difficulty loading the page this morning. I think the server is acting up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Indie Bookstores - don't you just love finding a new one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love new finds...Interesting idea, Jemi...

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how nice! Thanks for ordering my book. :) Hope you enjoy it.

    The Yiddish policeman novel sounds really interesting--thanks for the tip! I'll have to check it out.

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete