Fear in Writing: GTCBlogfest Part II: The Reveal

Today in Literary History

Today in Literary History...December 14, 1907: Rudyard Kipling receives the Nobel prize for literature, the first English-language writer to do so.ud

Sunday, August 22, 2010

GTCBlogfest Part II: The Reveal

Finally!  The Big Reveal.  What are the characteristics of this character?

   I've never been one to brag, but my daddy was the king.
   He could turn my tears into giggles just by making that face—the one where his tongue lolls out the side of his mouth and his eyes roll up—you know, where it looks like a corpse? That's the one. He had it down!
   I know how he got it so good, too: he'd seen plenty of dead people. Most of them he probably killed himself. Or at least ordered it done.
   But, whatever. He was my father.
   Do you want to know about him? I'll be glad to tell you. I have so many wonderful stories about my dad. I'll throw in a little of the killing, too. I mean, that's interesting, right? And it'll show you how decisive he was. (makes a muscle with her arm and lowers her voice) How strong.
   (giggling) Daddy was the best.

Many of you came close...and together you nailed it.  This character is:
Loyal to her father, to a fault
From a working class family with "new money," hence the entitled voice with poor grammar
Used to getting what she wants, from her daddy
Immune to violence, but not one to get her hands dirty
Not as young as you think--late 20s, early 30s--which tells you she is socially stunted and immature
Beautiful in a harsh way--slightly on the too-thin side, works too hard at her makeup, clothing expensive but just a bit off in taste, blonde hair, blue eyes
And yes--she is Southern!

Thanks for your patience.  This was supposed to post on Saturday, but I didn't check to make sure it did.  The Sunday Roundup will post this afternoon.

*Tomorrow--guest blogger Sylvia Dickey Smith!

*Sign up for the Happy Birthday Blogfest, celebrating Southern City Mysteries' first birthday, in the right-hand column or in the announcement post. The Blogfest is set for Sept. 24th.

4 comments:

  1. Michele - Thanks for satisfying our curiosity! OK, I hadn't picked up the Southern thing; perhaps I should have. But the rest makes total sense to me! Thanks : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's amazing how well everyone did with their blogfest. I seem to miss all the blogfests for some reason. Or perhaps it's because I don't have a lot of time.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - why does Southern not surprise me?

    ReplyDelete