Fear in Writing: Announcing...the first EVER...

Today in Literary History

Today in Literary History...December 14, 1907: Rudyard Kipling receives the Nobel prize for literature, the first English-language writer to do so.ud

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Announcing...the first EVER...

Kind of a quiet week so far here on Southern City Mysteries, especially after the two of weeks planned and researched articles.  But this post will serve as an announcement board...A few great things are coming up!

 First of all...author and blogger extroardinaire Margot Kinberg will be here Friday!  Her guest post topic is "POV in Famous Crime Fiction."  And we all know how thorough Margot is...Don't miss it!

There are more new guest bloggers as well, so make sure you check out the block in the top right of this blog.

Next...Southern City Mysteries is having a birthday!  And it's a pretty big one, too...The FIRST birthday!  In honor of one year in the blogging biz, I am having a major book giveaway.  Here's how it works:

1. Spread the word.  Tweet or post or place the announcement in your sidebar.  Add the link to any of these in the comment forum below.  (3 pts. for sidebar, 2 pts. for post, 1 pt. for tweet)

2.  What's your favorite?  Don't just tell me how #1ed, tell me about your favorite post or topic Southern City Mysteries has done in the past year.  No rules here.  It can be anything--a guest post, a series, or a subject I touched on briefly. (2 pts.)

3. On Sept. 24th, Southern City Mysteries' 1 year birthday, post your Happy Birthday Blogfest story!  Who said birthdays are fun?  They can be creepy or dangerous or dramatic or even fatal.  Write a short story in (why limit the word count?  Gimme what'chya got!) involving a birthday in any form and something mysterious, dangerous, dramatic, creepy, or deadly.  The latter event doesn't have to take place in the story, but can instead be alluded to.  It's your choice. (3 pts.)

Happy Birthday Blogfest
Sept. 24th

For the HBB buttong, click this link.

But what are the prizes?  I'll announce those soon--but they're pretty large, and there are First, Second, and Third Place winners.  Sign up for the blogfest portion of the Sept. 24th celebration below!



 

12 comments:

  1. Michele - Thanks so much for the kind words and the shout-out *blush*. I'm very excited to be your guest. And I'm very excited about your upcoming blog-iversary competition. How way very cool! I will definitely be back to participate : ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can't believe how many blog-iversaries there are out there. What posts of yours do I like. Well, I actually love your Sunday Foreign Posts but, this month you've had a wonderful Literary Movement Series. Wonderful!

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  3. #2 is easy. My favorite is your Literary Movement Series, in particular the posts on Lost Generation and Beat Generation. Very good.

    I'll get back to #1 and #3 >:)

    Cold As Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  4. I decided not to do any more blog fests (visiting multiple blogs wears me out, it seems rude not to), but since yours says Happy Birthday, and it is on September 24, which is the hubby's b'day, I can't resist. I will sign up for this one blog fest.

    Which one post of yours do I like above all others. Now that is a really tough one. I love your weekly round-ups, and I am loving your LM series, but let me think of something from a little longer ago. Unless I am mistaken, it was you that wrote about how old manuscripts became like security gates for us and how we clung onto them even after we outgrew them. If it was indeed you that wrote it, it must have really made an impact on me, because I remember it after all these months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I signed up on the linky and added your button/link to my blog's sidebar (+3). I'll be including you in my announcement post this week (+2).

    I'm a more recent subscriber to your blog, but I loved the Literary Movement Series. It was informative and I enjoyed how you incorporated the history of the time with the literature during the period. Your Gothic Literature post was what hooked me on your blog to begin with. (+2)

    Will post my birthday story (+3) on the appropriate day. Thanks so much for hosting this. It sounds like a lot of fun!

    Scribbler to Scribe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fun idea! Hmmm...so many ideas churning in my noggin for this one. Can't wait!

    Edge of Your Seat Romance

    ReplyDelete
  7. Signed up, and added yours to my page of Blogfests!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No "Mr Linky"? Sign me up! How handy that it's right after my girl's 1st BDay? (Sept 22, party on the 19th)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blogger hates me. We'll try this a 3rd time!

    I have your button on my blog, I announced it on my blog, and then I almost forgot to submit my entry. How is that for fatigue?

    Thanks for giving such a novel blogfest, Roland

    ReplyDelete