Fear in Writing: Mailbox...Tuesday

Today in Literary History

Today in Literary History...December 14, 1907: Rudyard Kipling receives the Nobel prize for literature, the first English-language writer to do so.ud

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Mailbox...Tuesday

Mailbox...Tuesday?
I know it's not Monday, but I'm a little short of inspiration today, so I thought I'd as what you all have bought/received recently (bookwise) and what you are reading...?

I just finished Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and Missing Joseph by Elizabeth George.  The former is not something I would have picked up on my own, but a friend physically handed me the book and said I had to read it.  I loved it!  A lot more love and sex than I was expecting, but the plot kept moving and the characters were tangible.  As to the latter, soooooo many of you have recommended Elizabeth George.  However, I was not overly impressed with this novel.  I really didn't feel the pace pick up until about two thirds of the way in.  The conclusion was satisfying, but I could never get a handle on all of the main characters, or decide whose story she really wanted me to follow as lead.  But, I'll read another George sometime.

New to me...Timothy Hallinan's The Fourth Watcher arrived via PaperbackSwap.  And, I picked up The Girl Who Played with Fire (from the grocery story of all places) yesterday.  I'm really looking forward to readin those, as I've read others by both authors--discussed here and here.

What's on your TBR pile?  What's new to your home?

4 comments:

  1. Reading an Alastair Reynolds book right now, and then three more await my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a new Elizabeth George, A new Riley Adams, a new Leigh Russell, a new Martin Edwards and three new Crombie. Cant wait to read them all.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving. I liked it with reservations -I have been a big fan since the beginning but his one was too self-referential to suit me. I felt managed.
    I'm reading Ursula K. Le Guin's book of essays 'the Wave in the Mind' and loving it. Also Hold Me Tight by Dr. Sue Johnson - for help with couples therapy (and my own relationship can always use a boost). I've started Fred Stenson's The Great Karoo, which is set in both Alberta's Chief Mountain country (where my wip is set) and South Africa during the Boer War. I'm really looking forward to it as Fred is a wonderful writer. I WANT a new Kate Atkinson! And the sequel to Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantell. In the mail are Elizabeth Spann Craig's two books, her oldest and the new one - I'll be taking them on holiday. Yippee for summer reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right now I'm reading Lisa Mangum's The Golden Spiral. She won the national book award for her first YA book The Hourglass Door. So far the sequel is living up to the hype.

    Love your blog layout!

    ReplyDelete