Fear in Writing: Green Your Blog

Today in Literary History

Today in Literary History...December 14, 1907: Rudyard Kipling receives the Nobel prize for literature, the first English-language writer to do so.ud

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Green Your Blog

Instead of the Sunday Foreign Post Roundup today, I am posting something a little different.  During the past year, I have tried to live more "green."  We buy green friendly cleaning products and use steel water thermoses, as opposed to plastic bottles.  We recycle everything we can and turn off every light when it's not in use.  We even remember to unplug our chargers and baby monitors when we don't need them.  And my son went to a green camp last summer at the local children's museum.  He knows all about water conservation!

I do not claim to be perfect, but I seize every (easy) opportunity I can.  This one seems easy.  Summer at ...and this time concentrate!  posted about Green in her "G" post on Thursday.  I decided to participate and pass it along...I hope you will, too!

The following text is taken directly from the 'My Blog is Carbon Neutral' website.

How much carbon dioxide does your blog create?
According to a study by Alexander Wissner-Gross, PhD, physicist at Harvard University and environmental activist, an average website causes about 0.02g (0,0008oz.) of carbon dioxide for each visit. Assuming an average blog gets 15,000 visits a month, it has yearly carbon dioxide emissions of 3,6kg (8lb.). This can mainly be tracked back to the immense energy usage from (mainframe) computers, servers, and their cooling systems.
As demonstrated in the above calculation, the atmosphere can be relieved by an average of 5kg (11lb.) carbon dioxide every year by planting one tree. An average blog causes 3.6kg (8lb.) of carbon dioxide emissions. Consequently, a tree neutralises the carbon dioxide emissions of a blog. Since a tree lives for an average of 50 years, carbon dioxide emissions of your blog can be completely neutralised for this time period.

Here’s how you can participate!

Just write a short blog post about our programme “My blog is carbon neutral” and include one of the buttons below on your site (ideally in the sidebar). Send the link to your blog to CO2-neutral@kaufda.de and we plant a tree for you, neutralising the carbon dioxide emissions of your blog. The trees will be planted in the spring of 2010 by the Arbor Day Foundation. For more information about how and where the trees are planted, see the news section.

Just a few easy steps to make it green:
1. Write a blog post about the initiative + insert your favourite button.
2. E-mail the link to your post to CO2-neutral@kaufda.de
3. We plant a tree for your blog in Plumas’!
carbon neutral coupons with kaufDA.de 
Get your button here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every little bit counts.  We can all do a little, can't we?

Bookmark and Share

13 comments:

  1. This is a great initiative, Michele--thanks for drawing my attention to it.

    We've tried to be a little greener, too. My son actually planted 25 trees for the Scouts a couple of months ago...I thought it was a great thing to do.

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can figure out what letter of the alphabet to use, I will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth-- That is a great way to get your kids involved in greening the world. I am excited for my son to get into Scouts.

    Alex- Hmmm...G is over, N for neutral? T for tree?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a really neat idea! I'll have to check it out in more depth once I get my laptop back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great Michele! I try to be as green as possible (even walked everywhere for years), but I live in an apartment, and my 'black thumb' kills everything I try to grow, so having them plant a tree for me is something I can manage :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOO interesting! We just planted a tree a few months ago in our backyard! Now I feel better about my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post. Truly excellent.

    The world needs more people like you, Michele.

    I too, am very aware of the planet. I recycle everything I possibly can, turn off lights when not in a room, never waste water or food. It is shameful those that do, when so many have so little.

    The planet, indeed needs our help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for directing us to this initiative- will definitely post a link too.

    I try to be as green as possible, but often end up cheating and take a cab when I could walk :-(

    ~ Rayna

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all cheat a little. But it is nice there are easy things we can do--like this initiative.

    I, too, have a "black" thumb, Lorel. So this really works for me!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I go green will I get 15,000 visitors to my blog every month? I think I can make mine carbon neutral by holding my breath for 20 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful idea! I'm so getting involved. Thanks for sharing!

    And I love your blog--glad I found it in time for Earth Day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rose- I love that idea! I'm right up there with you on the low visit count, though it's my own fault for not having the time to visit others.

    Jackee-- Thanks for stopping by! Glad to have you, and I look forward to visiting your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete