Fear in Writing: Imagination

Today in Literary History

Today in Literary History...December 14, 1907: Rudyard Kipling receives the Nobel prize for literature, the first English-language writer to do so.ud

Friday, March 4, 2011

Imagination

We don't have any trees in our yard which we can climb.  It's a shame, really.  I love climbing trees and I would love to watch my kids explore the view from different heights.  There's nothing like the world one can create from the branches of a tree.

But this week the light was just right.  It shone through this one tree--each limb drawn on the ground with near God-like precision.

So we climbed it.

We climbed that shadow tree, my daughter and I, and we each found our perfect branch.  We stretched out long and we let our legs dangle.  We chatted about the view and about the animals perched beside us or above us in our secret tree.

We imagined.

9 comments:

  1. Michele - What a wonderful gift to give to your daughter - the unleashing of her imagination! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I would like to climb the mountain that sits behinds my house. Perhaps my son and I can do it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing better for a child than for a grown up that they respect to step into their imagination with them. We get so darn busy that we forget the unicorns and fairies, and only focus on the chores and the homework. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you enjoyed it even more than she!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spent much of my childhood in my grandmother's magnolia tree. Loved it! You've given your kids a double treat by imagining it with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made sure the house we bought here in NC had trees in the backyard. We can't climb them but they do attract many birds and Monster Child is becoming an adept birder.

    I probably won't let her climb trees until she's a little older. I have a fear of breaking limbs, and not the ones on the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! There's nothing like being in the trees, climbing the branches and feeling the bark beneath your fingers to let loose your inner creativity. I'm so happy for you that you got that chance with your daughter. I imagine she'll remember it for a long time to come.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  8. Climbing trees is a great thing to do, for kids and parents. Let the kids climb whenever they want to. That's my philosophy >:)

    Cold As Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great together time -- love and imagination.

    ReplyDelete